Thursday, June 24, 2010

Pâte a Choux and Parmesan Gougères

Gougere

For Christmas last year, my mother gave me a copy of Michael Ruhlman's Ratio. I started reading it a month or so later, but became discouraged. I loved the philosophy espoused in its page, but I felt like the real value would be found in learning the basic recipes and then playing with variations, and I didn't have the energy or a reason to bake bread every week. Before last week, the only thing I'd made from the book was a basic ganache.

Just a couple months ago, however, I started reading Ruhlman's blog, and in one post he included a video demonstration of pâte a choux, a French pastry covered in the book. It looked breathtakingly easy to make, and I don't mean in the way that people who are talented make what they do look easy. And not only did it seems incredibly easy, but also extremely versatile--the video showed one preparation, gougère, but he explained several different things you can do with the pastry dough, from eclairs to finger sandwiches to gnocchi and potato pancakes.

And I thought to myself, "This seems like a project I can commit to." The basic recipe is simple enough, and the variations are simple enough. I had been intimidated, but not anymore, not by pâte a choux. And it went perfectly. You have no excuse not to try this at home yourself. I highly recommend Ruhlman's video, but you can follow along with me if you like:

You'll need flour, water, butter, eggs, and cheese:

Making pate a choux

The ratio for pâte a choux is 2 parts water : 1 part butter : 1 part flour : 2 parts egg. You can use this fundamental ratio to scale the recipe up or down. In the book, Ruhlman lists a recipe that will make 24 gougères as having 8oz water, 4oz (one stick) butter, 4oz (a scant cup) flour, and 8oz (4) eggs. I made a half recipe.

By the way, see that bowl on the right in the previous picture? I didn't actually need that. All you need to make this dough is a pot and a spoon.

In said pot, combine the water, butter, and a little salt, and bring it to a simmer over medium-high heat:

Making pate a choux

Once it's simmering, lower the heat to medium and stir in the flour:

Making pate a choux

Stir until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the pot, like this:

Making pate a choux

Remove the pot from the heat and allow to cool slightly, either by letting it sit or running cool water over the base. Don't let it cool too much, though--the mixture needs to be warm when you add the eggs.

Add them one at a time and stir until combined:

Making pate a choux

Making pate a choux

Ta da!

Making pate a choux

Aaaand you've made pâte a choux! You can do many different things with it now. If you want to make gougères, keep following along!

Preheat your oven to 425F.

Get the pâte a choux into a plastic bag and squeeze it down to one corner; a ziplock will do:

Making gougere

Snip off the tip of the corner. Now you've got a piping bag!

Making gougere

Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silpat, and pipe out golf ball-sized mounds of pâte a choux:

Making gougere

See those cute those points? They'll burn if left as they are. So, wet your fingertip with water or milk and tap them down:

Making gougere

Much better!

I decided to add some parmesan cheese to my gougères, simply by grating a bit and sprinkling it over the tops (I later learned that you should use French cheese, not Italian):

Making gougere

Put the baking sheet in the preheated oven.

Look how puffy they got! (Apologies for the horrible photo through the oven door; opening the door set off the smoke detector, so I decided to play it safe.)

Puffy!

Making gougere

After 10 minutes, lower the heat to 350F and bake for 10 more minutes.

YUM:

Making gougere

That's all there is to it! So simple and non-time-consuming, I made these at 10:30pm for a snack and still made it to bed by midnight.

No comments: