Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What I cooked this week, Episode 11

As I mentioned previously, I was out of town much of last week and so didn't have many opportunities for cooking. But I got a little bit in over the weekend.

Episode 11, August 16-August 22

Chicken burgers with sage white wine butter sauce
Chicken burgers

Another recipe from The Stone Soup, this one had its up and down for me, though these ups and downs had little to do with the recipe and more to do with my technique. The burgers were lukewarm by the time I finished the sauce, which I had to make in a separate pan because the oil burned under the chicken and wouldn't have tasted good, and the sauce need more butter. I want to make this again, and I'll probably put more salt (and maybe some garlic) in the chicken, and more salt in the sauce. Otherwise, the patties weren't dry, and I love the idea of eating a burger without a bun. Also, this recipe was a good excuse to drink white wine (we usually drink red).

Scrambled eggs with onions and zucchini sauteed in bacon fat
Sunday brunch

Every time I make bacon, I save the fat that cooks off in a jar and stow it in the fridge. I'm saving up to make a pie. But I have quite a bit at this point, so I thought I would liven up this otherwise-vegetarian breakfast with essence of meat. It was not a mistake to do so. Eggs, zucchini, onion, strawberries all from the Divisadero farmers' market.

Getting back into it this week; expect a full post next time!

No comments: