Saturday, August 28, 2010

What's in my fridge right now?

Jelly thumbprint cookies
Hint: not these.

As you've probably noticed from previous posts, when coming up with ideas for meals I try to use up leftover ingredients. Curious what I've got to work from right now?

You'll notice a lack of meat and fresh vegetables. I try to buy these things either at the farmers' markets Sunday or Wednesday, or else on the day I'm going to use them, and I try to buy only enough to use in that meal, unless I'm planning to use them again--this way, I can avoid wasting anything. Eggs and fruit are also acquired at the FM. Furthermore, we don't tend to keep bread and pasta around the house.

So, what's in my fridge?

Door:
  • 1/4 bottle Chardonnay
  • orgeat
  • Punt e mes
  • grapefruit juice
  • ginger beer
  • root beer
  • bacon fat
  • BBQ sauce (homemade)
  • butterscotch sauce (homemade)
  • tahini
  • strawberry jam
  • honey mustard
  • mayonnaise
  • Thai red curry paste
  • fish sauce
  • unsalted butter
Top shelf:
  • mango-peach salsa
  • 1/2 can lentils
  • 1/8 cup creme fraiche
2nd shelf:
  • leftover lemon-sage brussels sprouts
  • leftover red cabbage slaw
  • pickle relish
  • mayonnaise (someone didn't realize we already had some...)
  • leftover shredded chicken
  • bulgur wheat
Cheese/meat drawer:
  • Parmesan
  • Feta
  • white cheddar
Bottom shelf:
  • filtered water
  • whole milk
  • chicken stock (homemade)
Crisper drawers:
  • Cilantro
  • 1/4 white onion
  • 1/4 head of red cabbage
Not in the fridge:
  • Aborio rice
  • brown texmati rice
  • jasmine rice
  • dried chickpeas
  • dried cranberries
  • yellow onion
  • Yukon Gold potatoes
  • garlic
  • ginger
  • limes
  • (flour, sugar, spices, etc)
So, what am I doing for dinner tonight?

Ordering Indian food.


I'm going out of town toward the end of next week so my opportunities are limited, but see if you can spot how many of these items I was able to use in Episodes 12 and 13!

What's in your fridge? And what are you doing about it?

No comments: