Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Nostalgia...or not

Earlier this evening, I actually found myself preemptively reminiscing about the chasm-like stairwell of the library. Bizarre. I also realized that tonight was my last show at the movie theater. And I bumped into an old friend in the library who pointed out that this could be the last time we see each other for decades.

But right now? All I want to do is get out. Tonight I was on a roll with my work...and then it stopped going so well. I was happy that I was spending my last quarter of school studying things I enjoyed...and now I'm ready to move past them. It's true that there are people who I like seeing around campus who I won't see any more, possibly never again...but at the same time, most of the people I see these days are unfamiliar to me, and the friends I envision and plan on keeping in touch with are fairly few.

For better or worse, all of it, I suppose.


On a completely different note, I had a thought the other night, inspired by something a professor said in class about how many aspects of modern life have developed as they have because they make things more convenient for us.

Now, I happen to like internet television. However, I believe that there is value in doing things that are inconvenient. Not unpleasant, mind you, but things that do take effort. Maybe it's why I like cooking my own food, or visiting friends on the other side of the city. We should not allow ourselves to become complacent, or satisfied with what we have simply because it is more convenient to feel that way. And I'm not trying to be political here--I really do mean the little things.

Anyway, just a thought I wanted to share.

No comments: