Thursday, October 23, 2008

Back from Houston

My excuse for not writing is that I was away visiting Andrew. Now I am back in Chicago, and finding it harder than ever to get down to business, so now seemed like a perfect time to do some blogging.

Some pictures below, but first, something that has been on my mind a lot, especially when I make these trips back and forth.

I don't tend to think of my relationship as a "long-distance relationship," even though I guess that's technically what it is; I usually just think of as a relationship, where temporarily we only get to see each other about once a month. But whatever you call it, by virtue of this fact I often feel like I lead a double-life.

On the one hand there is my life in Chicago. I have lived here for three years. My friends are here. I feel at home in this city. I go to school here, I work here, I play here.

On the other hand, there is Andrew. I am very attached to Andrew. I'm not attached to Houston at all, I don't really have friends there (except for Andrew). But Andrew is there, I have an apartment there that is more mine than where I live now, I'm looking for work there.

Sometimes, I feel like I get the best of both worlds and I'm living two rich lives.

Other times, I feel like I am only living a half-life, and that because I am living in two places at once I am missing out on important parts of both experiences.


And now, pictures:

No comments: