Monday, August 6, 2007

Check it out

I added some links to my "I Like" list down there on the right, and I thought I'd take a moment to describe all of the items to perhaps peak your interest in checking them out if you haven't already, or at least to let you know why I like them.

In alphabetical order (as they are in the list):

boingboing.net

This site declare itself "a directory of wonderful things," which is certainly true. Boingboing is a blog consisting of posts from various authors (including Cory Doctorow), most of the items weird and wonderful. Just a neat place to go if you're looking for something to make you go, "Huh, that's interesting."

Dinosaur Comics

Dinosaur Comics, by Ryan North, is a delightful webcomic that features the exact same six panels every strip, containing a T-Rex, a Dromeciomimus, and a Utah Raptor (and sometimes God, the Devil, and other characters off-screen) engaging in conversation about everything from the English language, to alternate universes, to lesbians. Don't forgot to scroll over the comic for the alt text!

Escape Pod

A weekly sci-fi short fiction podcast, Escape Pod is a new find of mine (through Cory Doctorow, actually) and has provided much respite on my long days at work/walking to work. The podcast offers a pretty wide variety of types of story, with different styles and subjects, and is a lot of fun if you like sci-fi, which I do.

Neil Gaiman

If you read my blog at all, this one needs little explanation. Neil Gaiman is my favorite author and one of the reasons I started itching to writing again. Just read Smoke and Mirrors or American Gods to find out why he is deserving of your admiration. In addition to his novels, stories, and comics, I also read Neil's journal, which he updates with generous frequency.

And go see Stardust, in theatres August 10!

Pseudo Pod

Sort of a companion to Escape Pod, Pseudopod is a weekly horror short fiction podcast. I've actually only listened to one story so far (the latest, Big Boy), and I will recommend it based on that. Though only if you like horror fiction (which I do).

This American Life

I started listening to This American Life when I was quite young, because my parents listened to it on NPR every weekend. I suppose you could call it a documentary radio show. Each week has a theme which is explored through stories about just ordinary Americans...who seldom turn out to be so ordinary after all, or are ordinary in an extraordinary way... Really, it's difficult to describe. You can listen to episodes from their complete archives streaming online, buy episodes to download, or subscribe to the free weekly podcast which delivers each new episode right to your audio playing device. Just go do it.

xkcd

Another webcomic, about (as the site will tell you) "romance, sarcasm, math, and language."
The art style is exceedingly simple, and I love it as much as I love Randall Munroe's sense of humor--it's a perfect pairing.


So, if you're for something fun or need to something to do, I recommend checking out one of these sites. If you manage to like me, you will probably like them, too.

No comments: