Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I really wasn't going to write about the election

I swear, I wasn't. I was going to write some sort of summary of my BA progress up until now, or write a response to an article I read today. Something, anything other than writing about the election.

However, after watching the results come in that led up to Obama's historic victory while sharing a pitcher of (Chicago-brewed!) beer with a good friend, listening to the concession and acceptance speeches, then sharing the afterglow with two of my best friends (who lives states away from me), I don't feel like hiding my excitement about this event, and what it hopefully means for the future.

I am in the process of completing my undergraduate degree at the University of Chicago. For those who don't know, the UofC is in Hyde Park, where Barack Obama and his family live. Now, I haven't been by their home recently, and I've never bumped into him in the neighborhood. And, pretty much everyone (it seems) was downtown tonight, in Grant Park, to celebrate. But I still sensed something in the air as Alex and I walked home from the Pub, and it wasn't just the honking cars and distant fireworks.

This was an exciting place to be tonight--Hyde Park, Chicago, the American Midwest, with friends (both physically and emotionally), about to the start a new part of my own life, in a country that is taking a step in the right direction.


Light-hearted EDIT: it's ten 'till two, and the comment threads on the internets where I browse (not to mention facebook statuses) have exploded into warm fuzzies. Aww.

No comments: